A few years ago, Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King pushed a harmful measure that could have gutted anti-cruelty laws across the country and stripped the authority of states to protect animals from abuse and consumers from unsafe food. The efforts of thousands of animal advocates and others ultimately defeated the measure.
Now, Rep. King is back with his disastrous amendment to the 2018 Farm Bill. He was able to get it added to the House version, but not the Senate. The Farm Bill is now in conference and it is vitally important we ensure King's language is not added to the final bill.
Rep. King's bill could undercut the will of the people and force states and localities to allow the sale of dangerous and inhumanely-produced products. It is the single largest threat to animals in the United States.
HR 4879 poses a very real threat to animals all over the nation:
- California could be forced to allow the sale of foie gras, a notoriously cruel “delicacy” produced by jamming a pipe down the throats of ducks and force-feeding them until their livers become enlarged and diseased, despite a state law banning its sale.
- Georgia and other states could be compelled to allow the sale of dog meat.
- Illinois and other states could have their bans on the sale of horse meat overturned.
- Rules in Louisiana and other states preventing the sale of abused and sick dogs from puppy mills could be wiped out.
- Massachusetts could be forced to allow the sale of eggs from hens locked in cramped battery cages, despite an overwhelming public vote to prohibit the sale of these products. Battery cages are so small that the birds kept inside can barely move and eggs from battery cage facilities have higher rates of salmonella.
Congress shouldn’t undermine the ability of states to protect their constituents and animals. Please raise your voice and speak out today against King's amendment.
Please take a moment to call your two U.S. Senators and U.S. Representative today. Look up your legislators' phone numbers. You can say, "As your constituent, I urge you to oppose inclusion of any language similar to Rep. Steve King’s legislation -- H.R. 4879 -- in the final Farm Bill. King’s legislation poses a very real threat to animals and consumers across the country."
After making your phone call (please do not skip that crucial step!), fill in and submit the form below to automatically send a follow-up message. We encourage you to add your own thoughts or comments in the editable portion so your legislators know how important this issue is to you.