Update 4/18/18: The House Agriculture Committee passed its 2018 Farm Bill out of committee. Rep. King’s dangerous legislation (HR 4879) was included as an amendment. The Farm Bill will go to the House floor for a vote soon, so it’s critical you urge your U.S. Representative and Senators to reject King’s Amendment!
Back in 2012-14, Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King pushed a harmful measure that could have gutted anti-cruelty laws across the country and stripped the authority of states to protect animals from abuse and consumers from unsafe food. The efforts of thousands of animal advocates and others ultimately defeated the measure. Now, Rep. King is back with his disastrous legislation.
Rep. King's amendment could undercut the will of the people and force states and localities to allow the sale of dangerous and inhumanely-produced products. It is the single largest threat to animals in the United States.
The King amendment poses a very real threat to animals all over the nation:
- California could be forced to allow the sale of foie gras, a notoriously cruel “delicacy” produced by jamming a pipe down the throats of ducks and force-feeding them until their livers become enlarged and diseased, despite a state law banning its sale.
- Georgia and other states could be compelled to allow the sale of dog meat.
- Illinois and other states could have their bans on the sale of horse meat overturned.
- Rules in Louisiana and other states preventing the sale of abused and sick dogs from puppy mills could be wiped out.
- Massachusetts could be forced to allow the sale of eggs from hens locked in cramped battery cages, despite an overwhelming public vote to prohibit the sale of these products. Battery cages are so small that the birds kept inside can barely move and eggs from battery cage facilities have higher rates of salmonella.
Congress shouldn’t undermine the ability of states to protect their constituents and animals. Please raise your voice and speak out today against the King amendment (HR 4879).
Please take a moment to contact your U.S. Representative and Senators today. Look up your legislators' phone numbers. You can say, "As your constituent, I urge you to vocally oppose Rep. Steve King's HR 4879, which was included as an amendment to the House Agriculture Committee’s 2018 Farm Bill, and any similar attacks on state and local measures protecting animals and consumers."
After your call, use the form below to send a follow-up message. Editing your message will help it stand out.